1. Name of the Program
(1) Cross-Cultural Adaptation Training Program - Clarify Difficulties and Problems for International People to Live and Settle Down; subsidized by Human
Rights Promotion Department, City of Okayama
(2) Introduction and Exchange Program of Lifestyle and Culture to Improve Life and Mutual Understanding among International Residents and the Japanese (Okayama citizen); subsidized by the ESD Promotion Department, City of Okayama
2． Objectives/Goals of the Program
(1) Cross-Cultural Adaptation Training Program
1) Problem statement
International residents in Japan find difficulty in resolving troubles quickly in their living in Japan (Okayama).
Discuss differences and similarities between home and host cultures.
Exchange ideas, feelings and thoughts. Demonstrate through games and cultural simulations what social skills will be chosen specific to culture.
Specific deliverables will be as follows:
a) Clarify difficulties and problems of international people.
b) Design a training program for international people.
c) Confirm the outcome of the training program.
d) Promote cross-cultural exchanges between international people and the host.
Discuss and present the outcome of the discussion among the Japanese and international residents regarding how we can stablish such a system as quickly as possible where people can lead a life with a sense of reassurance based on common understanding.
(2) Introduction and Exchange Program of Lifestyles of International Residents
1) Problem statement
People do not understand each other regarding the historical background of different culture
a) Know traditional culture.
b) Know customs, cultural habit, and traditional events
c) Know the background how these culture and habits were born.
d) Know how foreign culture can interact.
Share common SDG goals participants want to implement together.
(1) Introduction of traditional culture in each country
1)Country of introduction
Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Nepal, Philippines, Brazil, Turkey, Austria,Switzerland, United Stats of America , Sweden, Korea, China, Malaysia,
Bangladesh, France Australia, etc.
2) Introduction method
a) Booths set up in each country (exhibits from the embassies in each country)
b) Leaflet distribution (introduction to traditional culture)
c) Participation in costumes (costume promenade)
d) Traditional performing arts (dance, singing in national costumes)
e) Introduction by PowerPoint
3)Time: 9: 00-12: 00, Saturday, January 25, 2020
However, the booth is set up all day
(2) Intercultural understanding business
1) Introduction of Japanese customs through drama (role play)
a) Around moving greetings
b) Neighborhood association business (how to dispose of garbage)
c) Health maintenance (hospital consultation)
Theme: -Points for foreign residents living in Okayama-
“How to improve social skills!”
Lecturer: Kyoko Tanaka, Professor, Psychology Laboratory, Graduate School of Social and Cultural Sciences, Okayama University
3) Leaflet display
Exhibition of issues and solutions extracted from questionnaires and interviews
4) Time: 13:00-17: 00, Saturday, January 25, 2020